Potato is a very versatile vegetable, with lovers world wide. It is one vegetable that is loved by kids and adults alike. My family for one loves potatoes in any form, be it a spicy curry, gravy or some crispy fritters. My younger daughter, just can't wait till the curry gets ready. As soon the potatoes are cooked and out of the cooker, she will be ready for her share. She loves eating plain boiled potatoes.
Potato podimas or mashed potatoes - Indian style, is a very simple dish, that can be prepared in a jiffy if you have boiled potatoes ready in hand. A very flavorful and delicious curry, that pairs beautifully with plain rice and rasam. The Combo of Curd Rice+Potato podimaas+Mavudoo is a heavenly combination...
This is my Hubby's and Appa's favourite.. So obviously dedicating this to them!!!!!
- Potato – 4 to 5 Medium sized
- Onion - 2-3
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Spilt Urad Dal – ½ tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the potatoes. Cool, remove skin and mash them coarsely.
- Heat a Kadai with oil, splutter mustard seeds, channa dal and urad dal. Once the dals turn golden add, chopped onion and curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder,chi;l;y powder and then add the mashed potatoes and salt.
- Mix well and cook uncoverd for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Mix and serve hot with rice and rasam.