This Kuzhambu happens to be my Appa's and Hubby's favourite. Even i too like. It goes well with even Dosa/Idly. Now off to the recepie. My Amma and Athai makes this superbly. And now according to my Hubby, even i too fall into this category.!!!
- Onion – 3 or 4
- Potato – 2
- Tamarind – A lemon Size
- Salt – As needed
- Thoor Dal – 2 Tbsp
- Urad Dal – 1 Tbsp
- Shallots – 5 or 6
- Curry Leaves – 2 Sticks
- Ellu – 2 Tbsp
- Scraped coconut – ½ Cup
- Red Chilly – 10/12
- Mustard/Kaduk - 1 Tsp
- Oil - 1 Tsp
- Immerse the tamarind in Water and make Tamarind Water (Puli Vellom).
- Transfer this to cooker and throw in the Onion and Potatoes.
- Keep this for 2 Whistles.
- Wash the ellu nicely and keep it aside in a small siever so that rest of water oozes out.
- Grind to a nice paste the ellu and the rest of items.
- Open the Cooker and add this paste.
- Allow it to Boil vigorously
- Pour oil into a Fry Pan and add them to Temper Items.
- Pour the same into the Kootan.
Delicious Varatharach Kuzhambu is ready.