- Rice ada / rice flakes - 200 - 250 gm
- Jaggery - 400 - 500 gm or to taste
- Coconut milk (thin, randam pal) - 2 - 21/2 cup (You need 3 coconuts for this recipe. Shred the coconuts and extract the thin and thick coconut milk)
- Coconut milk (thick), onnam pal) - 1 cup
- Cashews, raisins, fried coconut slices(thenga kothu) - 2 tbsp each or as desired
- Dry ginger powder(chukku podi) - 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder - 1tsp
- Cumin powder -1 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp or as required
1. Boil water in a pan. Wash ada and cook it in boiling water for around 20 mts or until it becomes soft. Strain and rinse with cold water to prevent further cooking. Meanwhile melt the jaggery in around 2 cups of water and strain it.
2. Heat ghee in an uruli or a deep pan. Fry the raisins, cashews and coconut slices one by one and drain on to a paper towel.
3. Now add the ada and saute in ghee for 3-4 mts adding more ghee if required at medium heat. Add the melted jaggery, cook at medium heat stirring in between.
4. When it thickens, add the thin coconut milk. Bring down the heat to medium-low and cook until it thickens, stirring in between. Now add the thick coconut milk.
5. Mix well and add the dry ginger powder, cardamom and cumin powder.
6. Mix well, cook for 1-2 mts at low heat and switch off. Garnish with the fried cashews, coconut slices and raisins.