This is something that my Mom makes superbly. But i don prefer this seedai as i love the Sweetening one more..
- Urad Dal Powder – 1 Ladle
- Raw Rice – 2 ½ Cup
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Grated Coconut – 2 Tbsp
- Salt, Hing – To Taste and As Needed
- Oil – For Fryng
- Soak the rice in water for 30mins.Soak the gram dal in water. Rinse and drain the water after 30 mins and spread it in a thin towel to absorb the wet. (for about 10 mins)
- When the rice is dry, take it from the towel into a mixer and grind it to a nice powder. Strain the ground rice flour at least twice to take smooth flour. We will be getting around 11 ladle of rice flour. Heat a pan, add the smooth rice flour and dry fry it for a while till the rice flour becomes hot. The rice should not be fried till red/brown color. Now mix the rice flour with 1 ladle of urad dal flour along with hing, salt, grated coconut, butter and gram dal
- Mix all ingredients and sprinkle water to make it a dough. Do not add more water. The dough should be tight. Water should be used very minimum, just to keep the dough tight.
- Take 1 teaspoon of oil in a plate. Grease the palm with the oil and make tiny balls out of the seedai dough. Place the tiny seedai balls in a paper to dry it. Heat oil in pan. Take one tiny ball of seedai and drop it in the hot oil. When the seedai immediately rises up in the hot oil, then this is the right stage to start the frying of seedai balls.
- Take 2 handfull of seedai balls and drop it in the oil and keep the flame very low. Allow the seedai to fry well to cook completely inside. When the bubbles and frying sound starts decreasing, take the seedai using a fry ladle and place it a fry basket to remove excessive oil
- Now the yummy uppu seedai/Salt seedai is ready for neivedhyam
- The rice flour and urdal flour should be very nice. This will prevent breaking of seedai while frying in oil. Sometimes if the flour is wet or if it is not smooth, there may be chances of bursting of seedai while frying in oil which is very dangerous. So we should be cautious while doing seedai.
- This quantity of ingredients will make 2 bowls of mouth-watering uppu seedai.