- Tomatoes - Thakkali - 2 nos.
- Tamarind - Puli - lemon size
- Garlic - Poondu - 1 no.
- Mustard seeds - Kadugu - 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds - Jeeragam - 1 tea spoon
- Red chilly - Kaintha milagai - 2 nos.
- Curry leaves - Karuvepilai - small quantity
- Coriander leaves/Cilantro - Kothamali - small quantity
- Hing/Asafoetida - Perungayam - a pinch
- Turmeric powder - Manjal podi - 1 tea spoon
- Rasam powder - Rasam podi - 1 table spoon
- Salt - Uppu - for taste
- Oil/Ghee - for tempering
- Make tomato puree.
- Wash and put tomatoes in hot water and remove skin from it. Smash it in mixer/blender and extract puree.
- Make tamarind paste and extract puree.
- Keep other ingredients ready.
- Heat oil/ghee in a kadai/pan, splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chilly, curry leaves, now add minced garlic, hing, tomato puree, tamarind extract, salt and let it boil for some 5 minutes.
- Now add rasam powder, turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Allow it to boil for 10 minutes and finally garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with any rice items.
- All kind of vada can be soaked in rasam and rasa vada is ready.
Optional: If we want only tomato taste, tamarind need not be added as it will increase the sour content. Fenugreek seeds or fenugreek powder can be added for taste.