What you’ll need
- Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Milk – 5 cup (1 liter)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Green Cardamom – 5
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Raisins – 15
- Ghee/Clarified Butter – 2 tsp
- Dry roast the vermicelli in a Kadai till it starts browning slightly.
- Add about 2 cups of water to this vermicelli and let it boil until almost done.
- Remove from heat. Strain immediately through a colander and pour some cold water over it. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, boil the milk and let it simmer on low flame for about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir once in a while to avoid burning.
- Add the vermicelli and boil for another 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add sugar, stir well and simmer for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat a small frying pan with ghee and fry the cashewnuts and raisins. Add it to the prepared Payasam.
- Crush the green cardamom coarsely and add it to the Payasam.